The continuous inkjet (CIJ) method is used commercially for marking and coding products and packages.
Our inkjet printers print high speed, reliable lot/date, sell-by date and other identifying marks and codes on a wide range of substrates – including plastic, glass, paper and more. You can minimise user interaction with the system’s large fluid operation capacity and the direct solvent injection ensures a trouble-free startup.
In CIJ technology, a high-pressure pump directs liquid ink from a reservoir through a gun body and a microscopic nozzle, creating a continuous stream of ink droplets. A piezoelectric crystal creates an acoustic wave as it vibrates within the gun body and causes the stream of liquid to break into droplets at regular intervals: 64,000 to 165,000 droplets per second may be achieved. The ink droplets are subjected to an electrostatic field created by a charging electrode as they form; the field varies according to the degree of drop deflection desired. This results in a controlled, variable electrostatic charge on each droplet. Charged droplets are separated by one or more uncharged “guard droplets” to minimize electrostatic repulsion between neighboring droplets.
The charged droplets pass through an electrostatic field and are directed (deflected) by electrostatic deflection plates to print on the substrate, or allowed to continue on un-deflected to a collection gutter for re-use. The more highly charged droplets are deflected to a greater degree. Only a small fraction of the droplets is used to print, the majority being recycled.
The major advantages are the very high velocity (~50 m/s) of the ink droplets, which allows for a relatively long distance between print head and substrate, and the very high drop ejection frequency, allowing for very high-speed printing. Another advantage is freedom from nozzle clogging as the jet is always in use, therefore allowing solvents such as ketones and alcohols to be employed, giving the ink the ability to “bite” into the substrate and dry quickly.
Key Benefits of Continuous Inkjet Printing: (CIJ)
- Most affordable and reliable method to print real-time lot/date codes.
- Print on virtually any surface or substrate
- High-speed printing in any direction or angle.
- Non-contact printing: print distance is ½ “ (12mm) plus.
- A variety of ink types and colours for immediate dry times on porous and non-porous products.
- One Touch, 10.4” Colour LCD with Multiple operating languages.
- Direct solvent injection ensures quick, trouble free startup.
- Exceptional, best in class print quality. Print text, graphics and bar codes.
- Built-in font edit tools with Unicode fonts.